Each employee is appointed to an “employee class” which determines eligibility for certain benefits and overtime pay, as indicated below. Your employee class is the first two letters of your position number which is displayed on your time report. Please read the “General Information for All Employees” and the “Time Reporting Information” applicable to your employee class.
|Non-Exempt Hourly with Time-Off|
|FN Foundation Regular Hourly||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|PT Part Time Regular Hourly||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|RN Regular Non Exempt||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|RC Regular Caregiver Hourly||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Non-Exempt Hourly with Sick Time Only|
|TB Temporary Hourly Non Exempt||Using up accruals
prior to 7/2015
|TC Temporary Hourly Casual Non Exempt||No||Yes||No||No||No||Yes|
|TO Temporary Caregiver Hourly||No||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|TS Temporary Hourly SDSU Student||No||Yes||No||No||No||Yes|
|Exempt Exception Time Entry with Time-Off|
|FE Foundation Exempt||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|FM Foundation Management Exempt||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|RE Regular Exempt||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|RM Regular Management Exempt||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Exempt Exception Time Entry with Sick Only|
|OO Other Options Non-Faculty||No||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|SE Scholar Exempt||No||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Exempt Exception Time Entry
with Academic Leave
|RA Regular Academic Break||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
General Information For All Employees
- Your time report will be available on-line in Workforce at the beginning of each pay period. Employees with more than one assignment with the Foundation will have a time report for each assignment.
- There are two pay periods per month. Work performed between the 1st and 15th of a month is paid on the 25th of that month. Work performed between the 16th and the end of a month is paid on the 10th of the following month.
- Time reports must be completed and submitted by the employee, and approved by the supervisor in Workforce within published deadlines.
- Hours accrued for vacation, sick leave, and personal holiday are displayed under “My Bank Balances” in Workforce. Current bank balances will be loaded into Workforce each pay period from the Foundation’s payroll system.
- Non-exempt employees are entitled (by California law) to a period of 10 minutes rest for each four hours of work or major fraction thereof and each rest period should occur in the middle of each work period insofar as practicable. This means that each non-exempt employee is entitled to two 10-minute rest periods in an eight-hour shift. In addition, each non-exempt employee is entitled to a meal period of at least 30 minutes if he or she works five or more hours in a day.
Time Reporting Information For Non-Exempt Employees – Employee Classes: FN, RN, RC, PT, TB, TC, TO, TS
- Non-exempt employees record all hours worked on the appropriate day by recording work in and work out times.
- Non-exempt employees (employee classes FN. RN, PT, TB, TC, TS) are eligible for time-and-a-half overtime compensation for time worked in excess of 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week. Workforce will automatically assign eligible time worked to the overtime earn code. This can be viewed on the “Results” tab of your time report after saving entries.
- Non-exempt employees eligible for paid leave record these hours on the appropriate day and assign those hours to the appropriate earn code.
- Employee classes FN, RN, PT, RC are eligible for paid holidays. The holiday must fall on one of the employee’s regularly scheduled workdays in order to be paid. Time taken off on a holiday should be recorded to the “Holiday Off Non Exempt Hourly” earn code.
- Employee Classes FN, RN, PT, any time worked on a holiday should be recorded with the “Holiday Worked Non-Exempt Hourly” earn code.
- Employee Class RC and TO, any time worked on a holiday should be recorded with the “Holiday Premium Pay-Caregivers” earn code.
- Time reports must be submitted and approved by 4:30 p.m. the business day following the last day of the pay period. Note: Time reports may occasionally be due at noon due to holiday schedules.
Time Reporting Information For Exempt Employees – Employee Classes: FE, FM, RA, RM, RE
- “Hours Per Day” located on the header tab of the time report reflects your assigned FTE. For example, 50% FTE would be 20 hours per week, or an average of 4 hours per day.
- Exempt employees report only exceptions to their regular schedule. Exception hours are recorded on the appropriate day, and assigned to the proper earn code. At the end of a pay period, exception hours reported for each earn code will be totaled on the “Results” tab of your time report for review, approval and submission.
- Holiday hours, calculated according to your FTE, are automatically populated on the time report on Foundation designated holidays. If you do not work on a holiday, verify that the default hours are correct. If you work on a holiday, record hours worked using the “Holiday Worked Exempt” earn code.
Time Reporting Information For Other Exempt Employees without Sick Only – Employee Classes: OO and SE
- “Hours Per Day” located on the header tab of the time report reflects your assigned FTE. For example, 50% FTE would be 20 hours per week, or an average of 4 hours per day. This reflects the percentage of time devoted to Foundation activities. Employees in class OO only record sick hours on the time report. Employees in class SE may record minimal exceptions as indicated on time report.
- The “Expense Distribution” tab on the time report indicates the portion of the FTE to be expensed to the funds listed. If the “Hours” per day or account information is incorrect, please notify your SRA grant specialist.
The above time reporting instructions are provided to answer some of the more commonly asked questions about time reporting. SDSU Research Foundation reserves the absolute right to amend any provisions of these instructions, as it deems appropriate. For more information on time reporting, overtime pay, vacation, sick leave, and holidays, please contact Foundation payroll at 619-594-6971 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Note: Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or higher to view. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader