Account Policies and Access
Email Policies and Access
Tools and Maintenance
Q. How may I contact the Service Desk?
- For the best response, e-mail email@example.com.
- Go to Self Service Center and click on "Support" near the top left corner of the web page. You can submit a ticket on this website. If you have a Foundation e-mail account, please log in before submitting a ticket.
Q. Who do I contact if I have issues with Workforce?
A. Email the payroll department for support with Workforce or for general payroll questions.
Q. Why should I maintain accurate account information?
A. By maintaining your account information up to date you allow us and yourself to manage your account more efficiently. For example, ensuring you have a Challenge Question and Answer allows you to directly reset your password if you ever happen to forget it. An accurate RedID helps us eliminate account duplication and confirms identity. While an accurate business phone number helps everyone.
Q. How can I update my account directory information?
A. Login to Self Service Center and click "Edit." There you will be able to update your business phone number and inter-campus mailcode. Your business phone number will be reflected in the Global Address List in all e-mail clients and on the SDSURF Online Search Directory. You will also notice that are some information already on your account. This information was provided by HR. To apply corrections to this information, contact Service Desk.
Q. I forgot my password, what can I do?
A. SDSURF ID, login to Self Service Center and click "Forgot your password?" and follow the instructions. If you are trying to login to Self Service Center for the first time, or forgot Challenge Question answers, please contact Service Desk.
Q. How does SDSURF recommend I access my e-mail account?
A. We recommend that all users manage their e-mail account via Google Mail, or better known as Gmail. Gmail provides access to your e-mail account from any internet connection, requires no configuration and no additional software. If you would like to use a traditional e-mail client on your computer we recommend Microsoft Outlook in IMAP mode for Windows computers and the Mail application for Macintosh computers.
Q. What e-mail storage/size limit policies are in place?
- All accounts are limited to 30GB (30000MB) in total storage. This will include all email, email attachments, contacts, calendar, and all files in Google Drive.
- For individual e-mails received or sent there is a size limit of 30000 KB (25MB), an adequate amount to accommodate any standard attachment.
- To view your current mailbox quota usage, login to Gmail using your entire Foundation email address, scroll to the bottom of the web page below the list of emails, on the left side you will see a percentage and how much of the 30GB you have used.
Q. What type of attachments are prohibited?
- As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, 30 different file types are blocked by Google from all incoming and outgoing emails, and will be bounced back and returned to the sender automatically.
- Gmail will not accept blocked file types even if they're sent in a zipped format.
- View all blocked file types, and additional information
Q. Does Gmail support POP3?
A. Gmail supports IMAP and POP3. By default, Gmail is set up with only IMAP enabled. IMAP allows you to download your e-mails just like POP. The major difference is that POP3 by default downloads the e-mails from the server, while IMAPS only downloads copies of your e-mails. IMAPS allows for easy access to your e-mails for recovery purposes or simply to use a second workstation, like from home. For information about IMAP, POP and setting up POP3, visit Get started with IMAP and POP3.
Q. How do I access my email account on my mobile device?
A. We do not officially support any one brand of cell phone, smartphone, or tablet. For more information and assistance setting up Gmail on your Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone devices, visit Get Google Apps on your mobile device.
Q. I forgot my email password, what can I do?
A. Go to AztecLink Identity Manager, and click on "Forgot Password" on the right side of the page under Self-Service Center, and follow the instructions.
Q. What is FileX?
A. FileX enables users to securely (encrypted) transfer large or zip files normally filtered by e-mail systems. To access FileX, Login to Self Service Center, then click FileX on the top right corner of the web page.
Q. Can I have my e-mails automatically forwarded to another account?
A. Yes! To learn how, visit Automatically forward emails to another account.
Q. Do Gmail accounts have virus protection?
A. Gmail automatically scans every attachment for viruses when it is delivered and again when it is opened. Gmail also checks for viruses in attachments you send. This helps to protect everyone who uses Gmail, and prevents the spread of viruses. If Gmail detects a virus in an attachment the message is rejected and the sender is notified. If a message that's already in your account has an infected attachment, you won't be able to download it. For more information visit Anti-virus scanning attachments..
Q. Does the Gmail use spam filtering?
A. Yes! For information about how Gmail filters spam, visit Spam Explained.
Q. How do I identify spam email messages?
A. View Spam Identification - Spam/Virus/Malware (create this page) for a list of characteristics that can assist in identifying, spam e-mail messages. The list by no means covers every scenario but can greatly help distinguish legitimate e-mails from spam e-mails. If you have any doubt you should always consult with your IT staff.
* Note: Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or higher to view. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader